Lake Forest Academy was founded in 1857 by a group of Presbyterian businessmen from Chicago as an independent, all-boys, college-preparatory school. In 1869, the Young Ladies' Seminary at Ferry Hall was established as an independent girls school in Lake Forest. Lake Forest Academy has been coeducational since 1974, when the school merged with Ferry Hall. The school is housed on 160 acres of the former J. Ogden Armour Estate, approximately 30 miles north of Chicago.
Today Lake Forest Academy is home to 400 boarding and day students in grades 9-12. They represent 17 states and 31 countries around the globe.